Thursday, 10 April 2008

Named Homesteads

One of the things I found interesting during my brief foray into Otautau's military history was that some next-of-kin were listed at places like 'Kinloch, Otautau' or 'Wardie, Otautau'. I couldn't find these names on any maps so I am deducing that the early residents must have named their homesteads - something we don't see much of these days.

Other names I found were: Redfern, Otautau; Aldersyde, Otautau; Linton Park, Otautau; and Erindale, Fairfax.

I'm not putting my hand up for this, but it would make a neat project - finding the names, histories and photographs of these homesteads and creating a resource book. Undoubtedly, some of those names are related to people or places in Great Britain. It seems to me if the name is lost, then the connection is lost also.

Does your home have a name? Do you know more about this subject? Leave a comment or email me.

No comments: