Wednesday, 18 June 2008

Get Growing

I always seem to be behind the eight ball when it comes to gardening. I don't think I have a purple thumb, but by the time I start to think about my garden, my neighbours and friends already seem to have theirs well underway.

Lately, I've been watching the weather, watching the seasons, watching the approaching winter solstice (Saturday, 21 June, 11:59am), and wondering 'should I start my garden now?' So I wrote to a friend of mine and asked. She said yes, and referred me to a great learning resource for new gardeners: Get Growing, the NZ Gardener weekly newsletter. You can subscribe for free and get all kinds of practical, gardening information.

This is put together by Lynda Hallinan, the editor of NZ Gardener. She is not your garden-variety gardener. According to her blog profile:

"...she embarked on a twelve-month inner-city self-sufficiency experiment to prove that she could grow all her own fresh fruit and veges in her quarter-acre backyard. And to make life a tad trickier, she set herself a maximum weekly grocery budget of $10 for the basics (flour, sugar, butter etc). Anything else she wanted, she had to beg or barter for... 18 months later, she's still going."


With that as inspiration, and the fact of higher food prices and transportation costs, it's time to get gardening.

[Pictured above is a lima bean sprout from last summer.]

No comments: